Thursday, December 16, 2010

A "Christmas" Conversation with Kellan


I know it's not quite Christmas (I wrote this a week back and never posted), but tis the season to talk about things I just can't always come up with the best answers for, especially when driving. I think I've mentioned this before and I probably don't even need to record it here, but Kellan Loves to talk. As I was driving Kellan and Zoe home the other night, Kellan initiated a 15 minute conversation below (paraphrasing of course)...I really needed Papa Frankie, Uncle Cam, Aunt Jessie some other source of information in the car other than myself...The train of thought of a 7 yr old is classic...lucky for me Kellan is more interested in asking the question then always hearing the answer.

Kellan: "Mom, Jesus!"
Mom: Looking over my shoulder observing a blow up nativity on some one's lawn
Kellan: "Why every time Jesus is around people have those plus signs"
Mom: "Plus signs? You mean crosses?"
Kellan: "Yeah crosses. When I was at Sean's wedding they had Jesus nailed to a cross. Why did those bad men want to kill Jesus?"
Mom: "People didn't like what he was saying, people were afraid of change."
Kellan: "Do all churches have pluses so they can nail Jesus up?"
Mom: "Yes, all churches have crosses, but not all of them have Jesus nailed to them."
Kellan: "Jewish people don't believe in Jesus."
Mom: "People believe in different things."
Kellan: "Do all people believe in God?"
Mom: "No."
Kellan: "It's not fair Jewish people get to open a present everyday for Hanukkah. Who do Jewish people believe in?"
Mom: "Abraham"???
Kellan: "Abraham Lincoln?"
Mom: "No" (to myself - "please don't ask because I am really not going to be able to answer")
Kellan: "Why did that bad man shoot Abraham Lincoln in the back of the head?"
Mom: "Kind of for the same reasons the people killed Jesus, he was afraid of change."
Kellan: Well, Presidents don't get shot anymore these days that was a long time ago.
Mom: "Actually 2 Presidents have been shot since I was born. 1 died, 1 did not." (note: I said this at the time and it took Jim reading this and correcting me that Kennedy died quite a bit before I was born, slipped my mind at the time).
Kellan: "Do you die if you get shot in the leg?"
Mom: "Sometimes."
Kellan: "What about Kwanzaa?"
Mom: "What about Kwanzaa?"
Kellan: "What do the Kwanzaa people do? I bet the Kwanzaa people know. Do the people that live next to Josh celebrate Kwanzaa?"
Mom: "No, I don't think so." (they are from India, which is not to say they don't celebrate Kwanzaa since I have never talked to them)
Kellan: "The guy in Three Amigos didn't die when he got shot in the leg. How come they had guns in 3 Amigos? They were actors."
Zoe: (who has been quiet the entire time). "Please stop talking about killing and guns. I'm going to have bad dreams."
Kellan: "Zoe do you believe in Jesus?"
Zoe: "I believe in Santa."
Kellan: "I think you should believe in Jesus too."

1 comment:

  1. I have read this post three times, and it has gotten better each time.

    I believe in Santa, too.

    ReplyDelete